Our aim is build your confidence on the water. Our class sizes of no more than four allow for lots of individual coaching and a personal feel. Our experienced coaches create a relaxed and fun learning environment.
If you have never been in a sea kayak before or if you only have a bit of experience and are looking to develop some kayaking skills then our beginner sessions are for you. Our instructors can adjust their teaching based on your ability. Our aim is to help to build your confidence on the water by increasing your knowledge and skill level.
Below are some of the skills we may cover:
- Introduction to the equipment and how to fit it to you
- Safe lifting, carrying and launching skills
- Forward paddling (this includes way more than you might think such as posture in a kayak, use of your whole body and paddle positioning)
- Different methods of steering the kayak
- Stopping and paddling backwards
- Capsizing and rescue (this will be covered on dry land and those that want to will have the opportunity to practice it in the water towards the end of the day)
Depending on your progress we may have time to continue to build yours skills further. This could include introducing support strokes (these help to prevent a capsize), the effect of the environment and weather on kayaking, and the skill of edging (this helps to steer the boat and is really useful if you wish to progress your kayaking further).
The great news is you can learn these skills while exploring the beautiful River Fal Estuary. However, if this sounds like too much instruction for you then book us for a guided paddle instead. You will still learn the basics needed to enjoy your trip.
Equipment provided includes: Sea Kayak, paddle, buoyancy aid, spray deck, cag/windproof, and helmet for the sessions that require it.
If the dates do not suit you then give us a call and we can often arrange a session for a date that does fit your diary.
Courses will run with a minimum of 2 people. If the course is unable to run due to lack of interest we will offer to move you to the next available course or issue a full refund.
If we need to cancel due to adverse weather conditions we will aim to book you on a different course or refund you in full.